Marielle Le Mat works as junior researcher/lecturer at the University of Amsterdam. She has a Research Master’s degree in Educational Sciences (University of Amsterdam). Her main research interests include the promotion of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) through formal and non-formal education, critical discussions of gender and education in its broadest sense, in relation to social justice, globalisation, and inclusive development. She is currently involved as a Junior Researcher in a project on the social exclusion of vulnerable youth, commissioned by SOS Children’s Villages. Alongside this, she works on her PhD on gender and sexuality education in Ethiopia. She also lectures in the minor International Development Studies at the University of Amsterdam. Previously, Marielle was involved in several project partnerships, including the Research Consortium on Education and Peacebuilding and the IS Academy Education & International Development.
- Altinyelken, H.K., & Le Mat, M.L.J. (2017). Sexual violence, schooling
and silence: teacher narratives from a secondary school in Ethiopia, Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education, DOI: 10.1080/03057925.2017.1332517
- Le Mat, M.L.J. (2017). (S)exclusion in the Sexuality Education Classroom: Young People on Gender and Power Relations. Sex Education, 17:4, 413-424, DOI: 10.1080/14681811.2017.1301252
- Le Mat, M.L.J. (2016). “Sexual violence is not good for our country’s development”. Students’ interpretations of sexual violence in a secondary school in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Gender and Education, 28 (4). DOI: 10.1080/09540253.2015.1134768.
- Lopes Cardozo, M.T.A., Higgins, S. & Le Mat, M.L.J. (2016). Youth Agency and Peacebuilding: An Analysis of the Role of Formal and Non-Formal Education. Synthesis report on findings from Myanmar, Pakistan, South Africa and Uganda, Research Consortium on Education and Peacebuilding, University of Amsterdam.
- Lopes Cardozo, M.T.A., Higgins, S., Maber, E., Brandt, C.O., Kusmallah, N., Le Mat, M.L.J (2015). Literature Review: Youth Agency, Peacebuilding and Education, University of Amsterdam.
- Miedema, E.A.J., Le Mat, M.L.J., and Hague, F. (2017). What is ‘comprehensive’ about comprehensive sexuality education? A review of the literature. Comparative and International Education Society, 7 March 2017, Atlanta.
- Datzberger, S., and Le Mat, M.L.J. (2016). Just add women and stir? Gender, education and peacebuilding in Uganda. Nordic Africa Days ‘Gender and change: global challenges for Africa?’, 23 September 2016, Uppsala.
- Le Mat, M.L.J. (2016). (S)exclusion in the sex ed classroom: negotiating discourses about young peoples’ needs. Comparative and International Education Society, 10 March 2016, Vancouver.
- Marielle Le Mat (2014). Draai de rollen op bij seksuele voorlichting. One World Love.
- Marielle Le Mat (2014). Uit eten voor een voldoende. One World Love.